Do you want to speak more confidently at work? Many of our students feel the same:
- “I have good knowledge of my field. But because of my weak communication skills, I am not able to convince my customers. I can do better if I improve my skills in public speaking.”
- “I have obtained a higher position at work, but my English is too simple. Sometimes I find it difficult to explain some situations.”
- “I always have this feeling that my English is not good enough. Improving it will help me in my career by boosting my confidence.”
As English is the international language of business communication, professionals are looking to improve their speaking skills. There are three main areas to consider:
- Business communication skills
People lack confidence in speaking English when they don’t have enough chances to practice. If that’s you, don’t worry! You can improve your speaking by using online resources.
Improve your fluency
- Use the ‘You’re Hired’ series from the British Council Learn English website. It helps you learn skills for finding a job. Watch the videos and then practice the dialogue.
- To improve anything, you need practice. So, practise speaking out loud, even if you are alone.
- You can use the BBC’s Get that Job series. The activities and quizzes build your knowledge of job-related vocabulary.
Improve your business communication skills
At work, you may need to do different tasks e.g. making a presentation, attending a meeting, or answering a telephone call. It’s helpful to learn useful language and the ‘dos and don’ts’ of business communication.
- Listen to the free Professionals podcasts from the British Council to improve English for your career. These are useful for intermediate to advanced levels.
- Use the pause button and repeat whole phrases after listening. This will help you say them right and remember them.
- Note down new phrases you hear and use them in conversations at work.
- Are you a job seeker or a young professional? You can do the free short course English for the Workplace. This will help you with language to find and start a job.
Improve your pronunciation
- Start with individual sounds. Practise these out loud to better say them.
- You will find phonemic script very useful. It’s used to describe the sounds of language (not the spelling). The British Council has a free phonemic chart to download as an app.
- Understanding phonemic script is useful when you’re looking up words in the dictionary. Most good dictionaries use this to show the pronunciation of words.
- Do you know which sounds you find more difficult? Listen to and practise these sounds out loud.
We hope you have found these tips useful and are motivated to go online and practice. This will help improve your speaking skills and confidence.
Sign up for a myEnglish Workplace course to boost your career prospects. This online course is delivered by expert British Council teachers. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to learn live from the experts! Register now.