What a fascinating morning session! Just capturing some of the thought-provoking (and sometimes provocative!) soundbytes:
- ‘English is a commodity language’
- ‘Whether or not to have English language in the Indian education system is not a cultural debate.’
- ‘We are at the risk of losing our cultural moorings in India because of English’
- ‘English in Sri Lanka is a link language only for its elite class’
- ‘Education system must ensure diversity and stimulte creativity in order to have productivity’
- There is a difference between being ‘proficient’ in English and being ‘effective’ in English. In India we need to encourage more of the latter.
Have deliberately not attributed these quotes because my memory is a fragile thing!
Irrespective of who said what, do you agree or disagree with what the panellists in the morning said? Post your comments, have your say, join the debates, throw your punches…