CinnamonTeal Publishing, a division of Dogears Print Media Pvt. Ltd, is organizing Publishing Next, a two-day Conference on the future of publishing on 16 and 17 September 2011 in Goa.
Driven by factors such as the Internet and readers’ and authors’ need for instant gratification, the publishing industry today is witnessing seismic shifts in its profile. The changing landscape, one filled with technological innovations that occur with alarming regularity and one that, in turn, fuels large expectations from readers, makes it imperative that the publishers’ community not only move with the times but even bet on the future.
Almost all aspects of the publishing cycle, including the creation, development, production, distribution and marketing of books have been affected by new phenomena such as social media marketing, “enhanced” books and business process outsourcing.
Targeted towards authors, illustrators, literary agents, publishers, librarians, policy makers, online bookstores, social media marketers the conference intends to understand this changing environment, where the industry might be headed in the future and help those involved meet the challenges that these changes might pose.
The conference will include the following sessions:
· Where are Digital Books headed?
· The Impact of Alternate Publishing
· Book Marketing in the age of Social Media
· Publishing Houses of the future
· Managing the translation market
· Copyright Issues in Publishing
Publishing Next is designed to be a networking platform to facilitate the trade of publishing rights, encourage dialogue between publishers and vendors and organize workshops on the technical aspects of social media marketing and digitization of content.
Speakers at the conference from India will amongst others include:
- Kiruba Shankar, CEO of Business Blogging. Ambassador at TEDx
- G. R. Raghavender, Director (Copyright & Book Promotion), MoHRD, Government of India
- Nilanjana Roy, Literary Critic and Columnist
- Kailash Balani, President at Federation of Booksellers & Publishers Associations in India
- Kinjal Shah, COO of Crossword Bookstores
- Ramu Ramanathan, Editor, Printweek India
- Rubin D’Cruz, Director, Kerala State Institute of Children’s Literature
Speakers & participants at the conference from the UK will include:
- Elin Haf Gruffydd, Director, Mercator Centre University of Aberystwyth
- James Bridle, Owner and Director, Bookable
- Michael Bhaskar, Digital Publishing Director, Profile Books
- Oliver Brooks, Co-founder, Completelynovel
- Gavin Summers, Digital Services Manager, Hodder Education
Publishing Next is being supported by the British Council who is actively involved in promoting creative entrepreneurship (www.britishcouncil.org.in/yce) in India through programmes that share the UK’s expertise and experience of developing the creative economy and by supporting ecologies within which it can flourish.
CinnamonTeal Publishing (www.cinnamonteal.in), established in 2007, pioneered the business of providing publishing services to authors and trade publishers in India. Located in Goa, they have catered to customers in 18 countries and have published books across genres and in 9 languages. In 2010, Leonard Fernandes, co-founder of CinnamonTeal was awarded the British Council’s YCE Publishing Award for being “grounded and well aware of the practicalities of [the] business, well researched and open to ideas.”
The award, Leonard says, “was timely because it endorsed the fact that self-publishing is indeed a legitimate form of expression at a time when the idea of self-publishing is itself hotly debated.” Following that he participated in the panel discussion, Digital Publishing Innovation in New Markets at the London Book Fair in April this year.